July 25 - 31 Bardstown, KY

 The trip began with a mani/pedi at Serendipity Day Spa in Frankenmuth where I was served a cheese and fruit tray and adult beverage.  Then off to Prost for lunch.



Voodoo Chips have become a must have on any road trip.


The drive to Bardstown, KY was nice.  
Lots of time to turn up the music and just drive.

Paul and Chris were great host.  The breakfasts were accompanied by stories of the jail and its spirit guests.  
The host that stole everyone's heart was Max (Maxim Security) the blueberry eating bunny.  



Parts of the jail were left as they had been.  I shot the picture of the bunks in the dark.  I forgot about the manikin they had on the bed.  I jumped a mile when the flash went off.  


I went to my two favorite restaurants, The Rickhouse where I tried something new.  The bourbon blueberry salmon was fantastic with an old fashioned.  The second night I went to The Old Talbott Tavern for 
the best fried chicken and a Kentucky mule.


I walked the town for the first time.
This first picture is Spalding Hall.  
It houses the Oscar Getz Whiskey Museum and the Rickhouse.
The other photos are random photos as I walked through town.





I took a walk behind the Inn and found a cemetery and old school house.
There were a couple head stones from the civil war.



For my next visit I will plan a day around the 
I only had time to find one giant.



My first stop on the tour was Angels Envy.  This tour was great.  It is one of my favorite bourbons.  The little bottle I am holding is bourbon that has been dumped from the barrels.  I never realized how much sediment came from the barrel.  
I still love those raw edge tables.


This was my first time taking the Michter's tour.  There was a lot of history and restoration done to this building.  I loved the crack in the wall and the display of barrels compared to finished product.


I have toured Heaven Hill Distillery a couple of times.
They have taken their tour down to a movie and a tasting.
This used to be a great tour.


I decided to take this tour at the last minute.
Willett did not disappoint.  Great information, bourbon and we got 
to go into the rickhouse.  They do their tasting throughout the tour.  
It was so organized.  I would do this one again.


If I lived in Bardstown this would be my hangout.
The Bar at Willett is amazing.  The food, drinks and staff were fantastic.
This was my first sazerac it was very good.  The bib lettuce melted in your mouth with a light crunch from crushed bread crumbs. The trout dip with radishes had so much flavor and it came with homemade saltines.  Last on the list was the ribeye with green peppercorn jus.  I have never had ribeye that tasted this good.


After all that food I needed to take a walk before heading home.
The grounds are beautiful.  At one time they talked about opening a B&B.
I am waiting for that day! 


This town will always have my heart.
I know I will return soon.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October 2023 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

August 2024 - Ballons, Bike & the Great Outdoors